Recipe by Ridgely
This is a simplified recipe of Jambalaya from Sara Moulten's show, "Sara's Secrets". My family really enjoys this and I find it quite easy to make when the craving for Jambalaya surfaces.
- 1 lb smoked pork sausage, such as kielbasa
- 1 large onion
- 2 small red bell peppers
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 2⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 scallions
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices and chop onion, bell pepper, and celery.
- In a dry 2 to 2 1/2-quart heavy saucepan brown sausage over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, and with a slotted spoon transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off any fat from pan and in pan cook vegetables in oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened.
- Stir in rice, broth, and cayenne and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and cook rice over low heat 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let rice stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice scallions.
- Fluff rice with a fork and stir in sausage, scallions, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Yield: 4 servings.