Recipe by Virginia Cherry Blossom
Simple, relatively healthy gumbo that can be made in the slow cooker. If your gumbo thickens upon standing, stir in additional broth. Found recipe in, "Simple 1-2-3 Slow Cooker," Cookbook.
Top Review by Jazz Lover
I think next time I make this I may add some crawfish and shrimp. We prefer our gumbo with a little more meat. I did use andouille sausage which always adds a little more spice.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb Polish sausage, cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- hot cooked rice
- chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tomatoes with juice and broth in slow cooker. Sprinkle flour evenly over bottom of small skillet. Cook over high heat without stirring 3 to 4 minutes or until flour begins to brown. Reduce heat to medium; stir flour about 4 minutes. Stir in oil until smooth. Carefully whisk flour mixture into slow cooker.
- Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, carrot, oregano, thyme, and red pepper. Stir well. Cover; cook on LOW 4 1/2 hours to 5 hours.
- Serve gumbo over rice. Sprinkle with parsley.