Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Simple, relatively healthy gumbo that can be made in the slow cooker. If your gumbo thickens upon standing, stir in additional broth. Found recipe in, "Simple 1-2-3 Slow Cooker," Cookbook.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb Polish sausage, cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- hot cooked rice
- chopped parsley
- Combine tomatoes with juice and broth in slow cooker. Sprinkle flour evenly over bottom of small skillet. Cook over high heat without stirring 3 to 4 minutes or until flour begins to brown. Reduce heat to medium; stir flour about 4 minutes. Stir in oil until smooth. Carefully whisk flour mixture into slow cooker.
- Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, carrot, oregano, thyme, and red pepper. Stir well. Cover; cook on LOW 4 1/2 hours to 5 hours.
- Serve gumbo over rice. Sprinkle with parsley.
I think next time I make this I may add some crawfish and shrimp. We prefer our gumbo with a little more meat. I did use andouille sausage which always adds a little more spice.
This was very simple to make.. I did use less Italian seasonings for personal preference, but otherwise made as directed. Thanks for the recipe.
was real good but made mine with a little more Juice.Thanks :)