1 hr 10 mins
This is very basic. This is my first ever gumbo recipe and we still like it today. It doesn't have the variety of meats like other recipes but I usually have these ingredients on hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb Polish sausage
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1Bring 2 cups water toa boil in med. sausepan over high heat.
- 2Meanwhile cut sausage in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2 inch slices.
- 3Stir rice into boiling water.
- 4Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 5While rice is cooking, place sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, carrot, oregano, thyme and ground red pepper in large microwavable container.
- 6Cover and cook on HIGH 5 minutes; stir.
- 7Cook 3 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 8While vegetable mixture is cooking, prepare roux.
- 9Sprinkle flour evenly over bottom of dutch oven.
- 10Cook over high heat without stirring, 3 to 4 minutes or until flour begins to brown.
- 11Reduce heat to medium and stir flour about 4 minutes or until evenly browned.
- 12Stir in oil until smooth. (Roux will be thick and chocolate brown).
- 13Carefully pour vegetable mixture into dutch oven and stir until coated with roux.
- 14Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil over high heat.
- 15Cover and simmer over medium heat 5 minutes.
- 16Serve gumbo over rice in individual bowls.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Sausage Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (452 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.7
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 59.5 mg
- Sodium 1334.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 19.9 g