Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
One of my favorites from Bon Apetit. Very hearty and so delicious. Tastes better with every day that passes.
Top Review by FruitLoop
Outstanding!! I used a mixture of sausages--mild smoked sausage, polish kielbasa, and andouille. I left off the bread topping and don't think that anything was missing by doing that. This dish is very seasoned, hearty and we feasted on it for a few days. I personally liked the use of sage, rosemary and nutmeg. Very different. Thanks.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs smoked sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick (can use all the same or a variety such as kielbasa and andouille)
- 4 large leeks, thinly sliced (use the white and pale green part only)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 3 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1 cup canned chicken broth (or more)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups diced country bread
- 1 lb tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large ovenproof Dutch oven.
- Add sausages; saute for 25 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer sausages to a paper-towel lined platter and let drain.
- Add leeks and garlic to same Dutch oven.
- Saute for 8 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add in apples, rosemary, and sage; mix well.
- Add brandy and simmer 5 minutes or until mostly evaporated.
- Add canned tomatoes with juice, beans with 1/2 cup of reserved liquid, lima beans, 1 cup broth, tomato paste, and cloves; mix well.
- Return sausages to pan; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil; cover and place Dutch oven in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add bread and saute for 25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Mix together tomatoes and parsley in a large bowl.
- Add in the bread; mix well; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon bread mixture evenly on top of cassoulet.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.