2 hrs 30 mins
lazy gourmet's Note:
This is an Emeril recipe. I made it for Thanksgiving and it was SOOOO good! I thought I'd share. It was a bit time consuming but so worth it! Also, if you don't know how to work with whole squash (I didn't) - here's a very helpful link to cut and paste in your browser - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRl-jjG2bYY
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3/4 lb smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (I used smoked andouille, but anykind is fine)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (I used frozen and it worked out fine)
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Season the squash with 1 tablespoon of the oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- 3In food processor or blender, puree the squash with 2 cups of the chicken stock until smooth. Set aside.
- 4In a saucepan over medium heat, bring 4 cups of the stock and 1/2 cup of the chopped onions to a simmer. Add the rice and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally with a fork. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
- 5In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot add the sausage and brown for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups of onions and the corn. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 3 more minutes.
- 6Add the remaining 6 cups of stock and squash puree. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface.
- 7Stir in the rice and continue to cook for 10 more minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the half and half and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Stir in the parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Sausage, Butternut Squash and Wild Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 (673 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.1
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.2 mg
- Sodium 954.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 21.9 g