Recipe by BakinBaby
This dish has German roots, but is widely prepared in Switzerland. I'm not sure exactly where I found this recipe,but it's been DH and grandson's favorite deer hunting camp meal for many years. It cooks in one skillet so clean up is minimal.
Top Review by Chef PotPie
I made this for my DH, and if the yummy sounds are any indication, then it is definitely 5 stars! I don't normally like things with cooked apples, but I really liked the mixture of the sour and the sweet here! I used turkey smoked sausgae. This was delicious! ZWT7 - Shady Ladies
- 1 lb smoked sausage (cut in 4-inch lengths)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (cut in wedges)
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1 cup apple (cored and sliced)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 4 red potatoes (cubed)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, brown smoked sausage in olive oil, add onions and cook for 3 minutes.
- Arrange all ingredients around sausage in skillet and cook over medium heat 30-40 minutes or until juice has cooked down.
- If kraut still has a sour taste, add more brown sugar to suit your taste.