Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A hearty and easy supper entree. I need to say up front that this one is a spin-off of Mareesme's: Polish Sausage and Sauerkraut Casserole (Kapusta) -- but I didn't have the proper ingredients for that fine recipe so I changed to smoked sausage and I eliminated the stovetop techniques, so it's all just baking/broiling. Hey, this was GOOD and I credit Mareesme for turning me on to the basic ingredients and some shrewd seasoning with the little touch of brown sugar. If you like weenies and sauerkraut, you like this one even better! pat, the old bone man.
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 6 slices bacon
- 32 ounces sauerkraut, drained, not rinsed
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Cut the smoked sausage into 6 pieces.
- In a 9" x 9" ungreased baking dish, layer in half the sauerkraut and then lay out the sausage on top of it. Cover with the remaining sauerkraut.
- Spread the diced onion over the sauerkraut, lay out the bacon slices across the casserole, and then sprinkle the brown sugar over it. Pour the water over the casserole which will make the sugar dissolve a bit. Cover with aluminum foil and bake on the middle rack for 90 minutes.
- At the end of the 90 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and, on the same rack, BROIL for 6 minutes. Serve hot along with mashed potatoes.
- Note: You won't have to add salt -- there's plenty of salt in the sauerkraut.
Easy to make and better than two other sausage/kraut recipes I made from RecipeZaar. I used more brown sugar and bacon than called for, and 2 lbs. Hillshire smoked beef sausage. It needs 'something' more to cut the tartness of the kraut. It was rated the best by my family of the three recipes I tried. Being a Wisconsinite, you can't but not love kraut!
My husband and I really enjoyed this meal! The only thing I did differently was to dice the bacon and brown it slightly along with the onion. This reminded me of my Wisconsin roots. Thanks for a delicious recipe I'll make again, Bone Man!!