My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2Place the vegetable oil in a 10-inch cast iron pan set over a medium heat.
- 3Once the oil is hot, add the sausage to the pan and render it, stirring often until the most of the fat has been released and the meat is crispy, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- 4Remove the sausage from the pan, reserving the meat and place the pan with the sausage fat in the oven.
- 5Combine dry ingredients with the cheddar cheese and green onions, and stir in the buttermilk, the remaining 1/4 of vegetable oil and eggs, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- 6Fold the rendered sausage into the corn bread batter.
- 7Remove the pan from the oven, and pour the corn bread batter into the cast-iron pan.
- 8Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 9Serve warm as a side for gumbo.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Sausage and Green Onion Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.4
- Calories from Fat 439
- Total Fat 48.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 122.4 mg
- Sodium 2130.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 32.5 g