Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Crockery Cookbook
- 2 1⁄2 cups of mixed dried beans, such as navy great northern black, kidney, lima, garbanzo, peas or 1 lb of dried 10 bean soup mix
- 12 cups water, divided
- 2 cups smoked turkey sausage, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Rinse beans and drain. In a large saucepan, combine beans and 6 cups of the water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse beans.
- In slow cooker, combine smoked sausage, onion, carrot, basil, oregano, and bay leaves. Stir in drained beans and remaining 6 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Discard bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This was my first time using dried beans, so I'm glad it turned out a success. This was good, but a little lacking in flavor. I considered using 6 cups stock instead of water, and next time, I think I will. I cooked on high for 4 hours and then it was on warm for an additional hour, but I would have liked the beans just a tiny bit softer, so next time I will shoot for 5 hours on high.