Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This comes from Rob Rainford of License To Grill. Sounds absolutely fantastic and didn't want to lose this recipe so I am posting on here.
smoked saucy pork chop
- 4 (10 ounce) pork chops, bone in
southern barbecue sauce
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup of freshly brewed coffee, cooled
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup of grated onion
- 1⁄4 cup rye whiskey (Crown Royal)
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle peppers
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups hickory chips
- Southern BBQ Sauce:.
- To prepare barbecue sauce, pour cold coffee, chicken broth, ketchup and brown sugar into a skillet. Grate in onion and add mustard and Worcestershire sauce, chipotle, garlic, adobo sauce and salt.
- Place skillet over medium high heat and let mixture come to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer lightly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place the sauce in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow flavours to infuse.
- Pour into a large resealable bag along with the pork chops. Let marinade for 20 minutes.
- Soak 2 cups of hickory wood chips in water for one hour.
- To build smoke pouch, add the soaked, drained wood chips on 1 sheet of aluminium foil. Place 1 cup of dry wood chips to wet and mix. Close the foil around the chips to make a sealed foil package. Use a fork to puncture holes in the top and bottom of the foil package to allow the smoke to flow through and infuse the meat.
- Preheat bbq to medium high heat on one side 375 F /190°C.
- Place one smoke pouch directly over the heat source. Leave the opposite side cool. Close lid and wait until the smoke has begun to fill the cavity of the barbecue.
- Once you have achieved smoke place the pork on the cool side of the grill. Reduce heat to 220 F / 110 C and smoke for 1 hour.
- Remove pork from grill, place on tray and cover with aluminium foil. Let pork rest for 10 minutes. Warm the southern barbecue sauce in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place pork chops in the skillet with barbecue sauce to warm.
Rob Rainford is terrific! I'll have to try these! I love License to Grill!
I've made this 5 times or so fantastic !