Typically we serve this spread with breadsticks or crackers. But for a delicious change, put a spoonful onto some thick grilled slices of sourdough bread, then top it with a squirt of lemon and a few grinds of pepper. The creamy, pale pink spread, melting into the crevices of the crunchy toast is irresistible.
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 1 tablespoon dried dill
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh dill, for garnish
- crackers or breadstick, for serving
- Puree the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice and tabasco in a food processor.
- Add the scallions, capers, salmon, chopped dill and pepper, and pulse to blend.
- Garnish with the dill and serve chilled or at room temperature with crackers.