This is a wonderful last minute or make ahead and freeze appetizer (they can be frozen up to 1 month). The recipe comes from The Canadian Living Christmas Book. Cooking time is time in freezer (must freeze for at least 4 hours).
- Lay some plastic wrap on your work surface and arrange the salmon on top in a 12 x 8 inch rectangle.
- Mix cheese with dill and spread over salmon.
- Press row of capers into cheese along one long edge.
- Beginning at edge with capers, roll up jelly roll style to enclose capers in center.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, squeezing to form smooth cylinder, and twist ends closed.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours or up to 1 month.
- To serve, thaw roll for 10 minutes, slice thinly, and arrange on cucumber slices.
- Garnish with onion and dill.
- Let stand for 10 minutes at room temperature.
I followed the instructions as listed except for decorating with onions and was pleased with the end result. Paired very well with sushi.