Danish-style pumpernickel bread is available in the refrigerated deli section of many supermarkets. From Bon Appetit: The Christmas Season.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 cups finely chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 24 slices thin danish-style pumpernickel bread
- 12 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1Mix cream cheese, chives, creme fraiche and dill in medium bowl. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- 2Mix red onions, sugar, and vinegar in another medium bowl.
- 3Let stand 10 minutes.
- 4Spread each bread slice with about 1 tablespoon cheese mixture to cover.
- 5Divide salmon among 16 bread slices.
- 6Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon red onion mixture atop salmon on each bread slice.
- 7Top each of 8 salmon-topped bread slices with another salmon-topped bread slice, salmon side up.
- 8Top each stack with 1 cheese-covered bread slice, cheese side down, forming a total of 8 three-layer sandwiches.
- 9Cut each sandwich diagonally into quarters.
- 10(Can be made 1 hour ahead. Cover with clean, damp cloth and chill).
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked-Salmon Sandwiches With Red Onion Relish
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.5
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 51.8 mg
- Sodium 1093.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 18.9 g