Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I am very lucky. I love fresh & smoked salmon, but never have to use the canned variety & even have a salmon cookbook. This recipe is the 1st of 2 I found at justsmokedsalmon.com & they acknowledged Marilou Robinson of Portland, OR. Her intro said "The ingredient list looks long, but none of it takes much time to prepare & it can all be done ahead of time. Because this salad needs to be made ahead & chilled, it is a good choice for a Sun night supper. When guests arrive, heat an assortment of fancy rolls from your favourite bakery & relax w/your company. Everyone will be impressed & well-fed. The recipe can easily serve as many as you like by just increasing the amt of ingredients & using a larger platter." Enjoy! (Time has been estimated & does not include time for beans, eggs & potatoes to cool after they are cooked)
- 1 (10 -12 ounce) bag romaine lettuce (torn into bite-size pieces)
- 1 head butter lettuce (torn into bite-size pieces)
- 8 ounces smoked salmon (very thinly sliced)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans (cooked, drained & chilled)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 small green bell pepper (cut into rings)
- 1 small red onion (sliced & separated into rings)
- 3 eggs (hard-boiled, peeled & cut into wedges)
- 3 small red potatoes (cooked, chilled & quartered)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives
- 3⁄4 cup vinaigrette dressing (bottled red wine)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Cook beans, hard-boil eggs & potatoes. Set aside & allow to completely cool. While they are cooling, prepare & slice onion & bell pepper.
- Line a lrg platter w/lettuce & mound smoked salmon in the centre. Arrange beans, tomatoes, pepper rings, onion rings, egg wedges, potatoes & olives over the lettuce & around the salmon.
- Cover platter & chill at least 2 hours Just B4 serving, drizzle w/salad dressing & sprinkle w/capers.
- HINT: To easily slice smoked salmon, put it in the freezer. When nearly frozen, remove from the freezer & use your sharpest knife to shave very thin slices.
This was outstanding, we were both raving! DH said it was too pretty to eat, but when he tried it, he nearly got ecstatic. Will make this again often! Thanks for sharing this winner!!<br/>Made for CQ 2014
Five stars for ease of preparation. Five stars for the visual impact at the dinner table. Had it two weeks ago when Kiwidutch made it for dinner. It?s a keeper. I shall be making this at the next available event.