Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Make these lovely cakes with good quality floury potatoes, the garlic cream is a must.From Feasts by Silvena Rowe
- 1 lb potato, peeled
- 300 g smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 150 g fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
- 50 g sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large bulb of garlic, roasted
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large lemon, juice of
- 150 ml olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- To make the garlic cream squeeze the garlic out of each clove into a food processor.
- Add the eggs and lemon juice.
- Add the olive oil gradually in a thin stream with the motor running until the mixture thickens.
- Season to taste with slat and pepper, add dill and refrigerate until needed.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until almost done, cool and then grate them into a large bowl.
- Mix the salmon, parsley, egg and onions into the potato, season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into 12 small cakes; mix the breadcrumbs with the sesame seeds and coat the cakes evenly with them.
- Sauté the cakes on medium heat in a little oil until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes each side. Serve hot with garlic cream.
These were a little fussier than other salmon cakes I've made but very good. The garlic cream was excellent. Made for ZWT6.
Made for Zingo of ZWT6 as an appy course & combined w/Zingo Recipe #426074 as the main-course + an encore of Recipe #425179 as the finale, we celebrated the end of the Tour full & content. Icelanders revere potatoes, smoked salmon & cream sauces, so this recipe was made-to-order for us & did not disappoint. Made as written except for the addition of lemon pepper as a pers pref, the recipe yielded 12 perfect generously-sized appy patties that were easily handled & stayed intact. You are right that these are lovely cakes & the garlic cream sauce is a must. The combo is great, will be remembered as among our favourite ZWT6 tries & is certain to be shared w/our family & friends. Thx for posting this recipe for us & making the Tour even more memorable. :-)
For us these were just ok. I had some lovely smoked salmon from Portlock Salmon here in Seattle, and I felt it totally got lost in the potato. Overall I thought it need more seasoning, I added pepper but waited to add salt until I cooked them not knowing how salty the salmon would be; we did end up adding a little but maybe some dill or old bay would be good too. The garlic cream was a bit heavy for me, I also thought it needed a little pizzaz so I added extra lemon and a fresh garlic clove. Made for ZWT 6 ZINGO by one of the Unrulies Under the Influence.