Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm planning a birthday party in two weeks-this will be one of our appys. I found this recipe on the wonderful healthyfoodguide.com.au
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon horseradish cream
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped (plus extra, to garnish)
- black pepper
- 200 g smoked salmon, slices
- Combine sifted flour with baking soda and baking powder. In a separate bowl, lightly beat egg and add milk. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in egg and milk. Stir with a whisk until smooth and thick.
- Spoon a tablespoon of mixture into a lightly greased, non-stick frying pan. Cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn and cook for 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine sour cream, mustard and horseradish. Stir in chives and season with pepper. Spoon onto cooled pancakes and top with slices of smoked salmon. Garnish with extra chives and serve.
These were delicious! So quick and easy, and they made a wonderful Saturday lunch for the three of us, with just 5 small pancakes left over (my 7 year old has already called dibbs on the leftovers for his lunchbox on Monday!). I used Dijon mustard, I had to use dried chives, as I was unable to buy fresh. These would be fantastic to serve as finge food at a party. We will definately be making them again! [Made for Aus/NZ Recipe Swap]
Yum, beautiful blend of flavours and I loved the way the pancakes rounded off the richness of the salmon and sour cream. I cut the recipe in half using a small egg and it made a tasty and filling luch for two.