Hot-smoked salmon is a Northwest specialty, and makes one great brunch dish! Use only hot-smoked salmon or kippered salmon for this dish. It's chunkier and drier than regular smoked salmon, which is cold-smoked and won't be right for this dish. Recipe is from the Heathman Hotel in Portland, Oregon. Serve topped with a poached egg. Or serve as is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs potatoes (about 7 medium)
- 1 lb salmon (only use hot-smoked or kippered salmon, NOT regular cold-smoked salmon)
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Poached Eggs (optional)
- 1Place the potatoes in a large pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, add a big pinch of salt, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely, then peel and dice.
- 2Shred the salmon into a medium bowl. Add the onion, horseradish, mustard, capers, and the 1/4 cup of sour cream. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- 3Melt the butter in a large heavy saute pan and add the oil. Add the cubed potatoes to the hot fat and saute until golden brown and crisp. Add the salmon mixture and toss to combine and heat through. Add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- 4To Make the Poached Eggs (Optional):.
- 5Meanwhile, fill a large skillet with water. Add the vinegar and some salt and bring to a soft rolling boil. Break the eggs into saucers. carefully tilt the eggs, one at a time, into the bubbling water. Cook until the whites are set and the enters are just soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 6Divide the hash among four plates. If you poached the eggs, remove from the water with a slotted spoon and place them on top of the hash. Top with a little of the sour cream mixture and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Salmon Hash - Heathman Hotel
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 709.3
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 439.4 mg
- Sodium 2678.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 49.0 g