Recipe by Reddyrat
This recipe is great! My husband said it was one of the best soups he'd ever had. I found the recipe in Cookie magazine and adapted it slightly.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups milk (skim is fine)
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, flaked
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (or fresh dill or chives)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over low heat. Add the leeks and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the potato, celery, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the broth and simmer until potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and milk.
- Mash or blend the vegetables to smooth the soup out (I used an immersion blender). It doesn't have to be totally blended, but some mashing or blending is recommended.
- Add the salmon, and bring the mixture back to a simmer for a few minutes (but don't let it boil, or the milk will separate).
- As it simmers, stir in the cream and dill or chives.