Recipe by Halcyon Eve
Found this recipe online, from a 1999 BH&G magazine. Sounds like it has potential, so I'm posting it here to keep track of it. I may post some changes once I've actually made it. I'm guessing the smoked salmon in the recipe refers to hot-smoked salmon like alder-smoked salmon, not cold-smoked like lox or nova.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup flaked smoked salmon
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow sweet pepper
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium cucumber, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons small capers, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- To make dressing: combine olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper sauce in a jar. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before using. Shake well before use.
- Spray four 6-ounce cups or ramekins with nonstick spray.
- Equally divide and layer ingredients in each cup in the following order: salmon, green onion, yellow pepper, tomatoes, onion, and cucumber.
- Cover tops with plastic wrap and firmly press mixture into cups with a can slightly smaller than diameter of cup to press ingredients together.
- Turn salads out onto individual plates lined with lettuce leaves or other greens (if desired). Carefully remove cups.
- Sprinkle salads with capers. Drizzle dressing over salads and serve.