Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A rich savoury cheesecake baked in a springform pan, then refrigerated. Because it is served at room temperature, this is a great make-ahead appetiser, and an ideal dish for occasions when you're serving a large group of people. The preparation and cooking times do not include cooling and refrigeration times. I have adapted this recipe from one I found on a Canadian website.
- 1⁄2 cup round cracker, crushed
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, low fat is fine
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup purple onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup capers, well-drained, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle the cracker crumbs in the bottom of a lightly greased 9-inch springform pan and set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer at medium speed until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg is added.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix until all the ingredients are well-combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan, and bake at 325ºF for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool it on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Gently run a knife around the edge of the pan and release the sides of the pan. Cool the pie completely, and refrigerate until you are ready to serve it.
- Serve at room temperature with crackers or crusty bread.
Really tasty, and always a big success at cocktail parties. I like to dress it up with extra chopped red pepper, onion, Italian parsley, and fresh dill on top, and put a border of paper-thin English cucumbers around the edge. If the cucumbers don't want to adhere, "glue" them on with sour cream! The only change I made was doubling the amount of smoked salmon.
Loved this - it was very easy to make and tasted yummy. I made this for a work 'do' and served it at room temp with crackers and a bowl of sour cream. It was a hit !!! I'll be keeping this receipie !