Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Love this Low glycemic snack! Also great for gatherings. Both topping and toasts can be made early in the day. Refrigerate the topping, covered for up to 8 hours. Store the toasts in an airtight container at room temp. One serving is 2 canapés.
- 24 slices rye cocktail bread
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brewed black tea or 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- fresh ground pepper
- 8 ounces sliced smoked salmon, finely chopped (11/3 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Arrange the cocktail rye bread slices in a single later on the baking sheet. Spray the tops of the slices lightly with nonstick spray. Bake the slices just until crisp, 10 - 12 minutes.
- (A toaster works well too for smaller portions).
- Whisk the lemon juice, tea (or vodka), oil, mustard, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the smoked salmon, onion, dill and capers. Toss to mix well.
- Shortly before serving, mound about 1 tbsp of topping on each slice of toast. Garnish each with dill sprig.