Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
The Jun-Aug Icelandic fishing season begins in a few days & this versatile recipe by Dumont Monte from his cookbook simply titled *Salmon* will be among the 1st I try when our supply of smoked salmon is replenished in our freezer. While not a burger in the traditional sense as it is not cooked -- it is definitely an easy-fix that is ideal for light lunch fare & is ingredient-friendly for a to-go occasion, camping or fishing trip + cold food patio party. As written, the recipe gives both metric + US measurements & I entered it that way as well. (This is a *No Cook* recipe, but 15 min was allowed for ingredient prep & 5 min for assembly) *Enjoy* !
- 150 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1 small avocado (ripe)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 180 g smoked salmon or 180 g smoked trout
- 4 crisp rolls (approx 4-in round)
- lettuce leaf (chiccory was suggested) (optional)
- Slice the cherry tomatoes & thinly slice the red onion. Halve the avocado, peel & remove the stone.
- Using a hand blender, puree 1 avocado half w/the larger measure of lemon juice, crème fraîche & mayo. Season to taste w/salt & pepper.
- Slice the other avocado half & sprinkle w/the smaller measure of lemon juice. Thinly slice the smoked salmon.
- ASSEMBLY: Cut the rolls in half & spread each w/an equal amt of the pureed avocado mixture. Arrange equal amts of the lettuce leaves (if using), cherry tomatoes, red onion & smoked salmon on each roll. Top w/the other half of the rolls & serve.
So good! Saw the picture yesterday and knew they would be perfect for a quick Saturday night dinner. What a wonderful combination of flavors! My hubby was moaning as he ate it and was still talking about it this morning. My only sub was to use light sour cream instead of the creme fraiche (spelling?) Thanks for a wonderful new staple in my recipes!!!
If I could eat this every single day for the rest of my life, I would! Definitely a must-try for all smoked salmon lovers!! I made this for lunch for DD and myself today (without onion for DD). We LOVED it! I usually am not a big fan of avocados, but I loved this avocado mixture and I think it made a very interesting combination with the smoked salmon. The only changes I had to make were use regular tomatoes instead of cherry only because the cherry tomatoes were almost 3 times the regular price and I had to use the regular burger buns since they were the only ones available. And since the lettuce was optional, I skipped it. Thank you, Twissis, for sharing this wonderful recipe. It goes without saying, a keeper for sure!! :)
Excellent combination! Everything goes really well together, especially the avocado and lox (always love that pair). We very much enjoyed the "sauce" part of it, and DH thought it could be used for other things too. It made for a wonderful and filling dinner.