Prep2 hrs 30 mins
These pinwheels are absolutely delicious... don't wait for a party to make them, whip them up for a weekend brunch or evening snack! You can make these up to 1 day ahead and refrigerate. You should get around 48-50 pinwheels/sandwiches if you slice each bread roll into 8 pieces, but it will depend on how large you slice them, so servings is only estimated. Don't purchase the completely square slices of bread, purchase the sandwich loaf that is higher on the top. Plan ahead these need to chill for a minimum of 2 hours before slicing. You can also make these with fresh steamed asparagus, but I prefer the canned better.
- In a bowl stir together softened cream cheese and mayo; season with a pinch of cayenne pepper or to taste (if using) mix very well to combine.
- Remove crusts from ends of bread slices.
- Using a rolling pin roll out the bread slices to flatten slightly.
- Divide/spread the the cream cheese mixture between the 6 slices of bread.
- Divide and top with smoked salmon slices.
- Place one asparagus spread along the shorter end of each slice of bread (trim ends more if necessary to roll).
- Roll each slice of bread up firmly.
- Wrap EACH roll of bread up firmly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Remove from fridge, using a serrated knife, slices each roll into 6-8 pieces.
- Cover and refrigerate pinwheels if not serving immediately.
Oh So Good! Easy and Impressive! I will be making these time and time again - wonderful recipe! Made for Newest Zaar Tag - Thanks Kitten!