Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is very rich and very decadent. For special occasions or romantic picnics. Emmenthaler cheese can be substituted for Gruyere, or use a combination of both. It is possible to use sour cream in place of whipping cream. It should not be necessary to season the filling with salt because the smoked fish is already quite salty, but do so, sparingly, if desired. Time does not include chilling the pastry. If you are concerned about calories and/or cholesterol, try substituting low fat evaporated milk for the cream - it will not taste the same, but it might make you feel less guilty! You could even use Julesong's Oil Crust Pie Shell #202023. I've not tried it myself, but it has good reviews. Moi? I think I'll stick with the original :-)
- 2 1⁄4 cups plain white flour (335g)
- 250 g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 20 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sized leeks
- 200 g sliced smoked salmon
- 200 g gruyere cheese, grated
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 4 large eggs
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- Whiz flour, butter and salt in a food processor to a crumb texture. Add vinegar, yolk and milk and whiz to a smooth dough. Shape into a disc, enclose in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out pastry between 2 sheets of lightly floured baking paper, to 3 - 4 mm thick, to fit a 24cm flan dish. Remove top sheet of paper, then use the bottom sheet to invert the pastry into pan. Gently press pastry into pan. Any excess pastry can be left hanging over the edge of pan. Chill 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Prick pastry base with a fork, then line with baking paper. Fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice, and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights or rice, then bake a further 5 to 10 minutes until base is dry. Trim overhanging pastry from edge.
- Meanwhile gently saute the sliced leek in olive oil, then add a splash of water, cover, and cook gently until water is evaporated and the leeks are soft.
- In a medium-sized bowl, hand whisk the whipping cream and eggs together. Add grated cheese and mix well, then season with freshly ground pepper and chopped dill.
- Spread leeks over pastry base, then top evenly with smoked salmon slices. Pour egg mixture into pie crust, spreading evenly.
- Reduce oven temperature to 175 C and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until quiche is puffed and lightly browned, and knife test comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, out of oven, for 10 to 15 minutes before serving with a tossed green salad.