Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This has to be the ultimate brunch! Serve sliced red onions and warm buns.
Top Review by mersaydees
I made this using fresh basil, otherwise, exactly as is. This is the spitting image of a recipe I've made before from Gourmet magazine, September 2003 issue. Thanks, Kittencal! Made in memory of Kitten's husband, John.
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup full-fat milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onions or 1⁄4 cup chives
- 1 pinch dried basil (can use 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil)
- salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 -3 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 3 -4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- red onion, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, onions, basil, salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat butter or oil in a 12-inch oven-proof skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet and scatter cream cheese cubes over top.
- Cook, lifting up cooked eggs around edges using a spatula to let the raw egg flow underneath until the frittata is set on bottom, and egg is almost set but still moist on top (about 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle salmon all over frittata, then press lightly, the shake skillet to allow salmon to settle into the top.
- Broil about 6 inches from heat for 1 - 1-1/2 minutes, or until set, slightly puffed and golden in spots.
- Cool 5 minutes, then loosen edge with spatula, and slide onto a large plate.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.