Prep 12 mins
Cook 8 mins
ZWT7 Switzerland. Quick and Healthy Recipe by Anne Quatrano from http://www.foodandwine.com. Smoked salmon exists traditionally in many varieties, and is often served with scrambled eggs, dill, sandwiches or mustard sauce.
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons horseradish, drained
- 8 slices rye bread or 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 large radishes, thinly sliced (1/3 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup small mixed sprouts, such as radish or 1⁄4 cup alfalfa
- 2 scallions, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb sliced smoked salmon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, cover the eggs with cold water and bring to a rolling boil.
- Cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 8 minutes.
- Drain the eggs and cool under running water, shaking the pan to crack the shells.
- Drain again and pat dry, then peel and coarsely chop.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and horseradish and spread on the bread.
- Arrange the radishes on 4 of the slices and top with the sprouts, scallions and salmon.
- Spoon the eggs on top, season with salt and pepper and close the sandwiches.
- Press gently, cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
Made this for DH and DS on UDI bread they both gobbled it up. I grated the egg to be smooth withe the chopped salmon. Thanks made for ZWT 7 for Saucy Sliverados.
Very nice sandwiches, for sure! I did make 2 of the sandwiches with rye bread & the other 2 with pumpernickel since we do enjoy the taste of both breads! My other half thoroughly appreciated the inclusiong of the horseradish & I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely it blended with the mayo! Definitely something different that I'd enjoy making for company! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed while touring Scandinavia with ZWT6]
Bliss on a dish. Very nice, and oh so delicate in taste. I followed this exactly, making tea sandwiches out of them. They are beautiful to behold and yummy to devour. I used radish sprouts and beautiful scallions plus on the soft rye bread was glorious! Made for ZWT6 Zee Zesties! June 2010