Recipe by MommyMakes
One of my husband's favorite things to cook is smoked salmon. This is our favorite, it is a very moist smoked salmon. Start soaking the wood chips while the salmon brines. Plan ahead by 2 hours. My kids love this, go figure!
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup ice cube
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick, with skin)
- 4 cups hickory chips
- cooking spray
- cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water, salt, sugar, dill, and soy sauce in a large bowl, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve. Pour salt mixture into a large zip-top plastic bag. Add ice and salmon; seal. Refrigerate 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Soak the wood chips in water for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Prepare the grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to medium and leaving one side with no heat. Place half of wood chips on hot coals.
- Remove salmon from bag and discard brine. Pat salmon dry with paper towels. Place salmon, skin side down, on grill rack coated with cooking spray over unheated side. Close lid and grill 10 minutes.
- Place remaining wood chips on hot coals, close lid, and grill 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, (usually takes more like 30 for us).
- Sprinkle with black pepper and serve.