Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Smoked Salmon with a light mustard and dill flavor. A great way to prepare salmon for a hot or cold meal. Some friends made this for us and my husband had to have the recipe! This made 6 small servings for us and prep time includes marinating time.
- 2 cups alder wood chips or 2 cups maple wood chips
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons mustard (sweet-hot or spicy brown)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) skin-on salmon fillets
- 2 cups water
- cooking spray
- Soak wood chips in water for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together dill, lemon juice, mustard and salt to form a paste.
- Place salmon fillet skin side down in a baking dish or platter, cover with mustard paste and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- While salmon is marinating prepare grill for smoking. Maintain a low heat of 200ºF to 230ºF. Place wood chips over coals and a shallow aluminum foil pan in an unheated area. Pour water into pan.
- Spray grill with cooking spray and place salmon skin side down on the unheated side of grill.
- Cook for 35 minutes with the lid down, the salmon is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
I used a honey mustard and that probably wasn't the right choice for this. The salmon was nicely flavored but the mustard flavor was a little too intense for me. I think I prefer this chilled rather than warm. Very quick and easy to make.