Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This focaccia is made by placing the baking sheet on a grill or in a wood fired oven - if you are lucky enough to have one. This was a pretty easy dough to work with and can be held overnight in the refrigerator to retard the rise, then brought to room temperature before forming and baking. Focaccia is best eaten the day it is baked! We topped it with grilled onions and gorgonzola cheese, but you can use your favorite toppings, or just some freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (100 F)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- In a large bowl, stir the yeast into the warm water and let stand for apporx 10 min, until it starts to foam.
- Add the olive oil.
- Mix flour and salt in another large bowl.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Do the final incorporation by hand.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled large bowl, turning the dough to coat with oil.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise until doubled in size, about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Dough can be held at this point overnight in the refrigerator.
- Fold in the chopped rosemary and cover to rise again, about 1 hour.
- Preheat grill or wood oven to 425º-450ºF.
- Lightly oil a large baking sheet or a half sheet pan, line with parchment paper and oil the parchment lightly. This just makes it easier to get out of the pan after baking.
- Place the dough on the sheet and stretch to cover as much of the pan as possible.
- Dimple the top and stretch more.
- Cover with a clean damp towel and set aside to relax for 15 minute.
- Brush dough generously with olive oil and gently press oil into dough by dimpling again with fingertips.
- Place sheet pan of dough directly on the rack of the grill over direct heat or on the floor of wood oven.
- Bake until it is golden brown, approx 15 min on the grill, less in a wood oven.
- Remove from grill or oven, drizzle with a little olive oil, top with a little kosher salt and other favorite toppings.
- Cut into serving size squares or rectangles and serve.