Prep 24 hrs
Cook 9 hrs
A different type of smoked and slow cooked pork that really gives an unexpected twist to those that expect traditional bbq flavor. Your guests will impressed....especially when you tell them how easy it is to prepare.
- 5 -9 lbs boston butt (bone in)
- 1 cup favorite your favorite barbecue rub
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 1 (10 -12 ounce) bottle raspberry chipotle sauce or 1 (10 -12 ounce) bottle glaze
- THE NIGHT BEFORE -- OR A FEW DAYS AHEAD --
- Mix kosher salt with dry rub (if your dry rub already has salt in it, omit this step).
- Rub roast generously on all sides with rub mixture.
- Tightly wrap seasoned roast in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for 24-48 hours.
- The morning that you plan to cook --
- Let roast stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- COOKING THE ROAST.
- Use apple wood chips or Adler wood chips that have been soaked in water for approx 20 minutes to provide a good smoke for the roast.
- Smoke on indirect heat for approx one hour.
- Remove roast from grill/smoker and wrap in double wrap in foil fat side up and place in dish or roasting pan at least 3 inches deep.
- Continue cooking roast in a 225-240 degree oven for 7 to 9 hours or until bone pulls out with ease.
- Open the foil and drain most but not all of the juice.
- Remove the top layer of fat from the roast.
- Using large forks, break the roast apart (similar to shredding).
- Pour chipotle sauce over roast and work sauce into meat ( be sure to leave a nice layer of sauce on top).
- Increase oven to 300 degrees.
- Keeping foil rolled back, return glazed roast to oven and allow roast to caramelize -- 30-45 minutes.
- Remove roast from oven and serve.