Prep 12 hrs
Cook 6 hrs
From the Backwoods Home Magazine blog. Prep time includes marinating and cooking time is a guess.
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- grated rind from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 -4 rabbits, cut-up
- Place the rabbit pieces in a non-reactive bowl.
- Mix rest of ingredients and pour over rabbit pieces.
- Marinate in refrigerator at least 12 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove from marinade and pat dry.
- Cold smoke in smoker at 75-85 degrees for about 2 hours.
- Hot smoke for several more hours until meat is thoroughly cooked. Or place on a cookie sheet and roast at 225 degrees until done, brushing occasionally with vegetable oil to prevent drying out.
- Cool and store in refrigerator wrapped in paper for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve thinly sliced on crackers as an appetizer.