Prep 35 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My husband makes this using our smoker. It produces the most excellent prime rib I have ever tasted.
- Soak wood chips in a container of water for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, add the garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme; stir to combine.
- Rub this mixture evenly over the beef roast.
- In a bowl, add the red wine, red wine vinegar, and olive oil; stir to mix and set aside.
- Prepare a charcoal fire in a smoker; let burn for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the hickory wood chips.
- Place the chips on the coals.
- Place the water pan in the smoker; add water to just below the fill line.
- Put the beef roast in the center of the lower food rack.
- Slowly pour the wine mixture over the beef roast.
- Cook the roast, covered, for 6 hours or until meat thermometer registers 145 degrees (medium-rare).
- Add more water to depth of fill line if necessary.
- Remove roast from smoker and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
Fantastic recipe. My first prime rib. Christmas dinner was a huge success. Thank you to the person who wrote it.