Recipe by Montana Heart Song
Oven or crock pot recipe. Layer all the ingredients and let the heat do the work. Needs no other seasoning except pepper to taste at the table. The apple juice offsets the saltiness of the sauerkraut and cooks into the potatoes.
- 4 smoked pork chops (Note you may use 2 cups cubed pork) or 4 slices of uncooked ham (Note you may use 2 cups cubed pork)
- 4 large potatoes, peeled, thick slices
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (with cubed pork)
- minced garlic
- 2 cups sauerkraut (16 oz)
- 2 cups apple juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large roaster or crockpot, layer pork chops or ham, sliced potatoes, sauerkraut, and apple juice.
- Preheat oven 375° or crockpot low heat.
- Cover and cook in oven for 1 hour.
- Cover and cook crockpot for six hours.
- Note: If you have smoked pork chops, no other seasoning is needed except the bay leaf and pepper. If the pork is not smoked you can add a few drops of liquid smoke and the thyme and also crushed or minced garlic. Potatoes tend to "grab" the garlic flavor so add towards the end of the cooking period.