Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Hearty, tasty meal-in-a-pot. Great dish to make on a cold winter day. You can add quartered potatoes to it for a complete meal.
- 2 lbs boneless smoked pork shoulder (also called "sweet morsel")
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Place onion in crock pot; place pork on top.
- combine drained sauerkraut, tomatoes (undrained), bay leaf, caraway seed, paprika, and pepper; pour over pork.
- Cover; cook on LOW heat setting 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaf; remove pork to platter and cover to keep warm.
- Skim fat from surface of sauerkraut mixture.
- Transfer sauerkraut mixture to a large saucepan.
- Combine water and cornstarch; stir into sauerkraut mixture and heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in sour cream (optional), if desired.
- Serve with sliced pork.
- NOTE: this can be cooked in the oven in an oven-proof covered casserole.
- Bake@ 350F 2- 2 1/2 hours.
This is a really unique way to fix a sauerkraut meal! Immediately after finishing I tasted a thought oh no...too salty. But I let it sit overnight and the flavors mellowed considerably. I have never tried smoked butt with the kraut before, usually using a pork roast, but this is a nice change. I also threw in 2 fresh kielbasa as my "butt" was small...no comments please. I served this over egg noodles and it was delish. I brought a dish in for a coworker who pronounced me the best cook she has ever met! Who knew? Thanks for making me look so good and for providing a great tasty meal.