Recipe by Missy Wombat
A vegan sausage recipe for those recipes that really do miss the real thing.
Top Review by AllForHim
These were good. Not really the same as sausage it tasted more like meatloaf but still really nice. I do think it needs an egg substitute though because they don't hold together very well.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic, cloves crushed
- 2 teaspoons pimientos (Spanish smoked paprika)
- 1 (410 g) can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 -4 tablespoons tahini
- 75 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil, for shallow frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the diced peppers over a high heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the pimenton and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Place the butter beans in a large bowl and mash roughly.
- Add the cooled pepper mixture along with the tahini and white bread crumbs, season well and then combine thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into eight balls and using wet hands, roll each into a sausage measuring about 10cm long.
- Clean the frying pan, pour in 1cm of sunflower oil and place over a moderate heat.
- Add the sausages and cook for 10 minutes, turning often, until heated through and golden brown (you may need to do this in batches).
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with green beans.