Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Seriously, there aren't words to describe how delicious this is. I first had it in a local gourmet organic restaurant, and couldn't get over how delicious it was. I later found the recipe on the web and was surprised how simple it was. Buying some nice smoked paprika is a MUST, don't even bother trying it without it. The flavor from the smoked paprika combined with the sweetness of the potatoes makes the dish extraordinary. (Don't worry if your grocery store only sells "yams", in north America yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing)
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes or 4 lbs orange yams
- 1⁄3 cup fat free cream (or condensed milk, or real cream)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika (sweet or hot is fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (use less if using chili flakes) or 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes (use less if using chili flakes)
- 2 pinches black pepper
- Pierce washed potatoes, wrap in foil, place on baking tray in oven at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until very tender.
- When cooled just enough to handle, peel off the skin and cut into chunks that fit your food processor or extremely powerful blender.
- Melt the butter and the spices together in the microwave.
- Blend the potato with the melted spiced butter and the cream following the instructions of your processor or blender, serve when blended throughout.
- *I used an extremely high powered blender (a vita mix) and had to stop and stir while pureeing multiple times so as to not burn out the motor. If it is too thick, add some more cream or milk to get it to the consistency you want it. Feel free to add more smoked paprika if you enjoy the flavor as much as I do!