Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
An yet another good looking barley dish from the Taste site.
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 (250 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 250 g green beans, topped, cut into 3cm lengths
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small red capsicum, halved, deseeded, cut into 1cm pieces
- 4 green onions, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat yogurt
- lime wedge, to serve
- Place the water and pearl barley in a large saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Rinse under cold running water. Drain.
- Meanwhile, combine the paprika and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss to lightly coat. Preheat a chargrill on medium-high. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes each side or until just cooked through.
- Cook the beans in a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 2 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Rinse under cold running water. Drain.
- Whisk together the lime juice and oil in a small bowl. Combine the pearl barley, beans, lime juice mixture, capsicum, shallot and 1/2 cup of coriander in a large bowl. Season with pepper.
- Thinly slice the chicken across the grain. Divide the salad among serving plates. Sprinkle with the remaining coriander and top with the chicken. Serve with yoghurt and lime wedges.