Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Smoked oysters provide an easy make ahead appetizer for holiday entertaining. The roll can be refrigerated for up to two days.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 (3 5/8 ounce) cans smoked oysters
- melba toast or cracker
- In medium bowl (not in food processor) cream cheese with wooden spoon. Stir in mayonnaise, Worcestershire, garlic, onion, hot pepper sauce, and salt to taste. Blend well.
- Lightly oil a large piece of waxed paper and spread cheese mixture into 16 x 6 inch rectangle.
- In sieve, drain oysters and rinse with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels and chop finely. Spread on top of cheese rectangle, leaving small border all around. With spatula and using waxed paper as a guide, roll up jelly roll style as tightly as possible, staring from long side. Wrap well and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, cut roll into 1/4 inch slices with very sharp knife. Dip knife into hot water occasionally for neater slices. Place on top of rounds of melba toast. Makes about 60 appetizers.
- Canadian Living Christmas Cookbook.
This is soooo yummy! For a change, I have also added Picapeppa sauce.
This is very good! I made an exception--made as a spread to test the recipe before the Holidays. Yum! Will make next time in a roll and slice. Thanks for posting this tasty little appie!
I made a spread out of this instead of a roll. Added the oysters to the cream cheese mixture and added about two more T. mayo to make a spread consistency. Very flavorful, if you like smoked oysters you are sure to like this. The seasonings are just right. It does need a garnish though as the mixture is not a very pretty color. Some chopped parsley or green olives would be good. Thanks for the recipe, we are enjoying it.