Recipe by blucoat
This is a great recipe for a casual party or get-together. Don't worry if you don't have a smoker, the oven instructions are below. If you are lucky enough to have a smoker, it takes about 3 hours (in a Green Egg) over mesquite on indirect heat at 275°F (135°C). Recipe is from Bonnie Stern and was printed in the National Post (Apr 25, 2009). Serve with coleslaw on the side or in the sandwiches.
- 12 chicken legs with thigh
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups favourite barbecue sauce
- 8 portuguese buns or 8 other crusty rolls
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken legs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Combine salt, paprika, sugar, cumin and pepper with olive oil. Rub into chicken.
- Roast in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until browned and cooked through. A meat thermometer should read at least 165°F (75°C) when inserted into the thickest part. Cool. Discard skin and bones and leave meat in chunks. Combine chicken with barbecue sauce and reheat just before serving.
- Meanwhile, prepare caramelized onions by heating oil in a large skillet. Add onions and cook until golden, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add sugar and salt and cook 5 minutes longer until browned.
- Cut buns almost in half but not completely. Fill each with chicken and sauce and top with onions.