Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
this is my mums recipe (sorry mum!), its something we have every Good Friday and Christmas Eve. Its absolutely delicious and ideal to take to a party or to serve as a starter. we usually have it on toast, but it would also go well with crackers, or pitta bread.
- 2 plain fillets smoked mackerel
- 1 (250 g) container Philadelphia Cream Cheese or 1 soft cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or sour cream to substitute both)
- cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons horseradish sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely grated onion
- remove skins from mackerel fillets.
- put ingredients in a blender and whizz until the desired consistency is reached (should be fairly smooth, but with some thickness).
- Add Lemon Juice or cream to taste as desired.
So glad I tried this recipe. It is delicious. I added a clove of garlic as well as smoked paprika and used my food processor to make this pate. I've never had cream cheese spread with fish like this before and now I'm certainly hooked. Thank you Belle Vix for posting this wonderful recipe.
I used 'garlic and herb' cream cheese, garlic salt, and white pepper (can't eat that spicy stuff) and stuffed pea pods with it. They disappeared in a blink! I only had 30 pea pods, so I chilled the rest in a mould and it came out beautifully, fantastic with crackers. Three cheers!
Vic, this is divine, please give my compliments to your mum! I made this last night and was scarfing the whole thing down with some red peppers. I just made two changes: I added a good dose of Hungarian paprika (gave it a lovely color) and instead of a measly tablespoon of grated onion I added a handful of dehydrated onion flakes. Great dip to go with crudites!