1/3 Photos of Smoked Leg of Lamb
Papa D 1946-2012's Note:
This is written for a charcoal water smoker. I use a gas smoker and use wood chips instead of chunks. Prep time includes marinade time. Best if smoker temperature is held at about 225° F. Lamb is best when served at medium-rare(145° F) to medium(160°F). Submitted to www.recipezaar.com on April 8, 2010.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir together first 8 ingredients until blended.
- 2Place lamb in a shallow dish or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; pour olive oil mixture over lamb. Cover or seal, and chill 4 - 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- 3Soak a couple cups of wood chunks/chips in water at least 30 minutes.
- 4Prepare charcoal fire in smoker; let burn 15 to 20 minutes. Drain wood chunks, and place on hot coals.
- 5Remove lamb from marinade; pour marinade into water pan, and place pan in smoker. Add water to pan to depth of fill line.
- 6For gas smoker pre-heat on medium for about 30 minutes with wood chips in the chip tray and water bowl filled accordingly.
- 7Place lamb on middle food rack; cover/close smoker. Try to maintain smoker at about 225° F temperature.
- 8Cook lamb 4 - 5 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of lamb registers 150°F Add charcoal, wood chunks, and water to smoker as needed.
- 9Note: Remove the smoked leg of lamb from the smoker or grill when its internal temperature reaches a temperature 5 to 10 degrees under your target done temperature. Cover loosely with tin foil, the temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees as the meat rests for 20 minutes (a must-do step) before slicing and serving. The result is moist, tender and full of flavor.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Leg of Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 938.8
- Calories from Fat 621
- Total Fat 69.0 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 253.2 mg
- Sodium 604.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 70.4 g