Prep 8 hrs
Cook 6 hrs
This is written for a charcoal water smoker. I use a gas smoker and use wood chips instead of chunks. Prep time includes marinade time. Best if smoker temperature is held at about 225° F. Lamb is best when served at medium-rare(145° F) to medium(160°F). Submitted to www.recipezaar.com on April 8, 2010.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 -6 lbs leg of lamb
- hickory wood chunks or chips
- Stir together first 8 ingredients until blended.
- Place lamb in a shallow dish or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; pour olive oil mixture over lamb. Cover or seal, and chill 4 - 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Soak a couple cups of wood chunks/chips in water at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare charcoal fire in smoker; let burn 15 to 20 minutes. Drain wood chunks, and place on hot coals.
- Remove lamb from marinade; pour marinade into water pan, and place pan in smoker. Add water to pan to depth of fill line.
- For gas smoker pre-heat on medium for about 30 minutes with wood chips in the chip tray and water bowl filled accordingly.
- Place lamb on middle food rack; cover/close smoker. Try to maintain smoker at about 225° F temperature.
- Cook lamb 4 - 5 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of lamb registers 150°F Add charcoal, wood chunks, and water to smoker as needed.
- Note: Remove the smoked leg of lamb from the smoker or grill when its internal temperature reaches a temperature 5 to 10 degrees under your target done temperature. Cover loosely with tin foil, the temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees as the meat rests for 20 minutes (a must-do step) before slicing and serving. The result is moist, tender and full of flavor.
that was ok
Absolutely wonderful. We love lamb and this was a great way to prepare it a special way for the father's day weekend. Thank you for posting it!!! It was a treat, very flavorful and not hard to do! ZWT6