From: “South of the Sahara: Traditional Cooking from the Lands of West Africa” by Elizabeth A. Jackson. – Ghana. Serve with rice or boiled plantains.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 -8 tablespoons oil (palm or peanut or a mixture- original is 1/2 cup!)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (to taste)
- 2 (3 1/4 ounce) cans of kippered herring fillets (or 1 cup)
- 8 ounces fresh greens, stemmed and chopped (or frozen. Such as kale or spinach)
- 1Grind tomato in food processor or blender until smooth.
- 2Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and red pepper and cook over medium heat until onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add ground tomato and herring and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- 4Add greens and simmer over medium-low heat 15 minutes more, covered.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Herring With Tomato and Greens (Kentumere)
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.5
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 27.6 mg
- Sodium 44.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 9.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: