Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the South Beach Diet website. They say "This mock soufflé is healthier than many other breakfast foods and easier to make, too. You can assemble it in the morning and bake it later when you're ready".
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded extra-sharp reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 slices light whole wheat bread, cubed
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup broccoli florets or 2 asparagus spears, trimmed and chopped
- 4 ounces lean smoked ham, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and egg whites until frothy.
- Stir in the milk, cheese, bread, mushrooms, broccoli or asparagus, ham, and Italian seasoning.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until it is golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.