Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in a magazine many years ago. I'm not wild about fish but gave this a try and it is now a firm favourite with family and friends.
- To make cheese sauce, mix cornflour with a little water to make a runny paste.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add milk and bring to near boiling point.
- Add the cornflour mix slowly and stir until milk is fairly thick.
- Add grated cheese and stir until melted. Take off stove and set to one side.
- Grease a round baking dish and spread the spinach evenly on the base.
- Season spinach with a little salt and pepper (optional).
- Cut smoked haddock into bite size pieces and place on top of the spinach.
- Pour cheese sauce over the spinach and haddock and allow to cool.
- Drape the pastry over the dish and gently push down the sides.
- Trim the excess pastry by running around the edge of the dish with the back of a knife.
- Use left over pastry to make a decoration on the top. (optional).
- Make 4 – 6 fork holes in the pastry.
- Brush egg wash over the pastry.
- Bake at 160ºC or 320ºF for approx 25 minutes or until pasty is golden.
Loved this deliciously different entree. Had a difficult finding the smoked haddock so subbed with smoked salmon. Our favorite ingredients topped with puff pastry and looking so elegant - was deemed a winner - looking forward to serving it to family and friends. Thank you for sharing this flavorful combination baked in a pie - and one tastes like you've spent all day in the kitchen!