Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
With Kashmiri Saffron. A great recipe from Waitrose.
- 1 pinch kashmiri saffron
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 300 g new potatoes, cut into 1cm slices
- 450 ml semi- skim milk
- 300 ml fish stock
- 450 g smoked haddock fillets, -undyed
- 15 g fresh chives, snipped
- Place saffron threads in a small bowl. Add one tablespoon of boiling water and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt butter in a large pan and cook leeks for 5 minutes, uncovered over medium heat.
- Stir in the potatoes, add the milk, stock and saffron liquor; bring to the boil and season well with black pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until potatoes are cooked.
- Skin and cut the haddock into large cubes; gently lower into the pan. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, until the fish starts to flake and is just cooked.
- Pour into soup bowls, garnish with the chives and serve with chunks of multigrain bread.
I've tried cooking this recipe and I love it. So simple and tasty!
Lovely soup, delicately flavoured and very attractive to look at. Quick to prepare, and was popular with everyone. Not having access to Kashmiri saffron, I used Iranian, but I'm fairly sure that most of the satisfied diners turned a blind eye to my little subterfuge ;-)