Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Haddocks and leekd make a wonderful flavour combination and they're finished off beautifully with a crunch potato and cheddar cheese topping.
- 500 g smoked haddock
- 300 ml milk
- 25 g butter
- 2 large leeks, sliced
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 250 g mascarpone
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 large floury potato, about 250g
- 75 g grated mature cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the fish in a heatproof dish. Bring the milk to the boil in small pan and pour over the fish; set aside for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade. Heat the butter in a large pan and cook the sliced leeks for 3 minutes until softened. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Strain the milk from the fish into the pan and stir well.
- Bring to the boil and continue stirring until thickened. Now add the mustard and maascarpone, mixing until warmed through and well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from the heat.
- Skin the fish, then cut or break the fish into chunks and transfer to a 2 litre heatproof dish. Add the quartered eggs, then opour over then pour over the leek sauce, stirring lightly to mix everything together.
- Peel then coarsely grate the potato and mix with the cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Scatter this mixture evenly over the top of the pie then bake for 25-30 minutes until the topping is golden brown. Serve straight from the oven.