Recipe by bewildergirl
Inspired by using all my tiles in Scrabble to make the word kedgeree I thought I'd share my mildly spiced fishy recipe with you.
- 6 ounces smoked haddock
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 ounces button mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives (chopped)
- 5 fluid ounces sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 eggs, beaten with
- 1 dash milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a non stick pan place the smoked haddock and cover with water, bring to the boil then simmer till cooked (approx 5 mins).
- Once cooked remove from the water and strain the cooking liquid through a sieve into a bowl and put to the side.
- Take 1/1/2 cups of the cooking liquid and pour into a saucepan with the long grain rice. Cover and bring to the boil, then turn heat off, leaving lid on allowing the rice to absorb the water and fluff up.
- In the meantime fry the onions and garlic in the butter, when soft add the spices to the frying pan and fry off for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and keep stirring. Add more butter if necessary.
- Once the rice has absorbed all the liquid tip the onion mixture into the saucepan and stir well.
- Scramble the eggs and then add them to the rice mixture.
- Pour in the sour cream and mix well. Check seasoning and if needed add some black pepper.
- Flake the smoked haddock into the mixture, stir in the lemon juice and put into the oven for about 15 to 20 mins on 180 degrees. If the mix looks a little too dry you can add a few extra tablespoons of the fish cooking liquid.
- When thoroughly heated through stir in the chives and parsley and serve.