Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the Women's Institute Book of Soup that I borrowed from our local library. Not recommended for freezing
- 25 g butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 450 g potatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 350 g smoked haddock, undyed and skinned
- 300 ml milk
- 300 ml water
- 4 tablespoons double cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Melt the butter in a large lidded saucepan, add the onion, patatoes and curry powder, cover and sweat for 10 mins, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Lay the haddock over the vegetables and pour in the milk and water. Season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12 mins until the potatoes are soft and the fish is creamy.
- Remove from heat and using a potato masher, crush the fish and potato to give an even but fairly rough consistency.
- Stir in the cream and parsley and reheat if necessary.