Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 3 lbs idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, plus more if needed
- 3⁄4 lb shredded smoked gouda cheese
- fresh ground white pepper
- Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Return the potatoes to the saucepan and add the butter, cream, and cheese.
- Mash the potatoes, stirring to incorporate the seasonings.
- Season with salt and freshly ground white pepper. Serve warm.
These were very good! I loved the smoky flavor! They were nice and thick and creamy just like I like them! Even my mashed potato hating husband said these were the best he had ever eaten! Emeril knows his stuff!
These are good but we think they need more flavor. I think next time we'll add more salt (or use salted butter instead of unsalted) and more cheese. I LOVE the flavor of smoked gouda, and these were a bit more subtle than we would like. We will make them again though. They were super simple. The only change I made this time was using red potatoes and leaving the skins on, because that's what I had on hand.
I make this every Thanksgiving and everyone just loves it! I love smoke gouda and to combine it with potatoes, butter, and cream...it seriously doesn't get any better than this. I watched Emeril make this a few years back and went out and bought the ingredients right away....delicious! I will be making it tomorrow for Turkey Day! :)